Kicking off the decade in 1960, the Council moved its headquarters to Clemson, South Carolina. By that same year, all states and territories had licensure boards. In 1940, there were approximately 92,000 registered engineers. In 1960, there were 260,000, an increase of 280 percent.
The Northeast Zone once again led the way by administering the first zone uniform professional exam in 1961. This was a significant milestone for homogeneity and overall mobility efforts.
In 1965, the first Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam was offered. The widespread use of the FE exam was an immediate aid to boards for reciprocity. The first Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam was first administered the next year.
The first common Fundamentals of Land Surveying (FLS) exam was offered in April 1973, and the Principles and Practice of Land Surveying (PLS) was introduced the following year. (The word “land” was later dropped from the surveying exams in 2005.)
In 1979, the Council replaced the National Bureau of Engineering Registration with the NCEES Records program. The Council envisioned it to be “the central depository of official documentary and personal biodata of all types of engineers.”
In 1980, construction started on a new headquarters building in Clemson, South Carolina, and it was dedicated in December 1981.