By 1926, 18 states were members, and the Council was ready to take on major problems in the engineering profession. Secretary Legaré remarked that, “the Council is now evidently recognized as an authority on engineering registration, and the Secretary’s office is rapidly becoming a clearinghouse for information on the subject.”
In 1931, the word “national” was added to the organization’s name, making it the National Council of State Boards of Engineering Examiners (NCSBEE).
In 1932, the organization adopted the Model Law for the Registration of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, and the Council’s National Bureau of Engineering Registration was created. That same year, headquarters were established in Columbia, South Carolina.
In 1935, Secretary Legaré attempted to clarify the major role of the Council as the body best suited to coordinate the activities of the state boards and to function as a clearinghouse for information regarding registration matters, stating the Council had become “the logical organization to advise and furnish reliable information to the state groups that are promoting the adoption of new registration laws or amendments to existing laws.”
In 1945, when the organization celebrated its silver anniversary, it had grown to include 48 state boards representing 75,000 registered engineers. It was now organized by zones: Central, Northern, Southern and Western.