Celebrating 100 Years of NCEES


Engineering Education
The Model Law states that an individual seeking licensure as a professional engineer shall possess degree in engineering from an EAC/ABET-accredited bachelor’s or master’s program—or hold a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree in engineering from a non-EAC/ABET-accredited program. This individual’s education must be shown to meet the NCEES Engineering Education Standard. The vast majority of licensing boards use these requirements.

Surveying Education
For initial surveying licensure, the Model Law requires graduating from a surveying program of four years or more accredited by EAC/ABET, ETAC/ABET,ANSAC/ABET, or meeting the requirements of the NCEES Surveying Education Standard. However, a number of state boards allow less education if the licensure candidate has more experience.